The Wood Mold we've engineered is an innovative technology that makes it cheaper, faster, and easier to provide safe drinking water to families.
What’s a BioSand Filter?
BioSand Filters (BSFs) use sand, gravel, and natural biological processes to filter out contaminants in water, making it safe for drinking. BSFs effectively eliminate cholera, typhoid, E coli, amoebic dysentery, and many additional pathogens that are harmful to humans. They’re a great low-tech drinking water solution.
- No electricity or running parts required to operate the filter
- Made with 100% locally available materials (unlike larger community based systems where foreign parts typically need to be imported)
- Labor intensive NOT capital intensive
- Very durable, can last more than 25 years if maintained properly
- Little maintenance required
- Very effective for removing bacteria, protozoa, and helminths from water and reducing turbidity
The traditional issue with concrete BSFs was that the Steel Mold used to produce them is expensive (between $500-2000) and requires an experienced welder to make. Many communities and local NGOs shared with us that they either didn't have the technical capacity or financial resources to start a BSF project. We listened and started exploring how to disrupt the concrete BioSand Filter manufacturing process.
Want to learn more about BioSand Filters? Download our Introduction to BioSand Filters document to learn more about how BSFs work, their different components, and frequently asked questions.
OHorizons’ Wood Mold
The DIY Wood Mold we've engineered is an innovative technology that makes it cheaper, faster, and easier to provide safe drinking water to families. Because the Wood Mold is so inexpensive and easy to use, anyone, anywhere can bring clean water to their community. You can find our Wood Mold Construction Manual and Appendix on our Resources Page. These instructional documents are open-source and free to download.
Advantages of the Wood Mold
- Inexpensive ($70-$100/mold including cost of labor)
- Locally-Sourced Materials (all materials purchased in-country and easily replaced)
- Easy to use (no special skills or previous construction experience required)
- Durable (+50 filters/mold)
- Can be made off-grid
- Rapidly increases filter production capacity (See infographic)
Making a BSF with the Wood Mold
Step1: Construct and assemble the Wood Mold
Step2: Mix and pour concrete into the Mold, let it sit overnight
Step3: De-mold the BSF and prepare filter media
Step4: Install filter media and operate BSF
Interested in a more in-depth video lesson on building our Wood Mold? Here are two additional options.
Project Ready: Wood Mold Instructional Video [7 minutes]